What is ICSI?
In ICSI that eggs and sperm are collected from each partner. With help of experienced embryologists and by use of special fine glass needle single sperm is picked up and directly injected into each egg. once the sperm has been placed in the egg as the normal cellular events of fertilization still need to occur ICSI does not guarantee the fertilization
ICSI suitable is for?
ICSI may be appropriate under following Circumstances:
- there is very low sperm count
- immotile or abnormal sperm
- sperm has been retrieved surgically from the (PESA,TESA)
- in the semen presence of high level antibodies
- When there has been a previous fertilization failure through conventional IVF
Patients should be aware of the steps associated with ICSI:
- Development and maturation of the eggs through stimulation of the ovaries
- Eggs retrieval
- Eggs fertilization into embryos
- Embryos Transfer back into the uterus
How successful is ICSI?
With respect to the age of the woman probabilities of success differ among patients. Considering the average after single attempt for ICSI almost 35% of patients will have a baby.